Welcome to the Unity of Wichita Youth Department
Unity of Wichita provides a spiritually rich, caring, and safe environment for children. What sets us apart is that we are a nontraditional, non-fundamental spiritual center and church that emphasizes God as ONLY a loving creative power. This power is not separate and apart from us, but is in and around us all and will assist us through good and bad times.
Primarily through the example of Jesus the Christ, who emulated the power of God within us, as well as other great teachers, the children learn to be grounded and guided through prayer and meditation and develop a personal relationship with God. We teach the Bible as part history, and emphasize the symbology and metaphysical meaning of the stories. In doing this we teach “Practical Christianity” to use in our daily life situations.
We stress independent thinking, developing mindfulness to be aware of thoughts and redirecting them as needed to create the best outcome. The children learn to cultivate kindness, respect themselves, and others. We acknowledge each child’s individuality and foster that.
Our teachers meet the following requirements
- Complete application and background check
- Training locally and regionally
Our program director is Kelly McFarland. Kelly has been a member of Unity since 1994 and had volunteered in the Youth Department for much of that time. She is a registered nurse. Her co-teachers are Elanor Ferris (former Youth Director), Vicki Howard (former YOU-teens Director), Kim Dwyer (former teacher), and other volunteers. Peyton Valdez is the nursery volunteer and a former Unity youth member. Tasleem Muqtasid, a professional storyteller shares a story monthly as a lesson, and Erica Lillie teaches yoga to the children. We are always finding creative fun ways to learn!
Sunday School provided during the 10 A.M. service includes:
- Nursery, (Unitots):Birth – Preschool Elementary, (Unitweens): Kindergarten -5th
- Jr high (Uniteens): 6th to 8th, High School (YOU) 9th -12th
What We Teach
- The 5 basic Unity principles:
- God is the source and creator of all. There is no other enduring power. God is good and present everywhere.
- We are spiritual beings, created in God’s image. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.
- We create our life experiences through our way of thinking.
- There is power in affirmative prayer, which we believe increases our connection to God.
- Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not enough. We must live them.
- Unity Statement of Being: “I acknowledge One Power and One Presence in my life and in the Universe, God the good, omnipotent”
- 12 Powers of Man: God-given powers that we all have and can use. [button text=”Read More” link=”http://www.unity.org/resources/twelve-powers/twelve-powers” style=”default” size=”normal” target=”_self” display=”inline” icon=”book”]
- Learn prayer, (talking to God), and Meditation, (listening to God)
- Learn mindfulness – awareness of our thoughts and directing them in a positive way to help manifest good
- Teach and practice Positive Affirmations, and Denials of the power of negative things over us
- Unity “Prayer of Protection”, “Prayer of Faith”, “Lords Prayer”
- Unity songs and movement exercises
- Create heart agreements or expectations of behavior from each other and being accountable to this
- Retreats for middle and high school age children with regional and international Unity groups
- Teach the importance of respecting and honoring ALL individuals as people of different ethnicities, sexual orientation, and especially our elders.
- Intermingle with adult congregation. The 3rd Sunday of the month is the family service – children may participate (usher, greeter, prayer chaplain, help in kitchen) or attend adult service with parents, or sit at the front of sanctuary with each other.
- Fundraising events, movie night, annual swim party, Holiday parties, Christmas program, community service hours opportunities, trip to Unity Village, Missouri- World Headquarters.
If you are new to Unity and plan to have your child attend:
- Pick up and fill out an informational sheet on you and your child at the Youth table in Fellowship hall. Return to Kelly or put on the Youth table.
- Sign release of photo (if you agree). We put pictures on Unity Facebook or in e-blast (our weekly newsletter via email.)
- Sign your school-age child in at the youth table in Fellowship Hall before service.
- Sign in and check out your nursery age child to the nursery. (We will not allow anyone we do not know to pick your child up)
Myrtle Fillmore, Co-founder of Unity
As co-founder of Unity, Myrtle Fillmore said: “Our mission is not to entertain the children, but to call them out. To be always entertained is to be dwarfed and dependent. To be “called out” is to follow the harmonious law of the soul’s unfoldment.”
We enfold all children in the love of God.
We place all children in the light of God.
We call forth from within them the power of God.
We see the presence of God in each child.
We affirm that all children are under Divine protection of the Holy Spirit and that all is in Divine Order.
Come try us out! We look forward to sharing our leading-edge spiritual practices!